Lavender has a secret, sweet-smelling double-life. You probably know that lavender can be all flowery aromas and calm effects, but it also has a serious side that packs a mean anti-bacterial and anti-fungal punch. Plus, this plant can help dispel unwanted pests, keep your laundry fresh and even improve the air you breathe!
Here are five of our favorite ways to use lavender in your home:
1. Laundry detergent. Add some extra oomph to your laundry detergent with this DIY lavender detergent recipe. It only takes two tablespoons to freshen up your bedding, towels or anything else you want to smell fabulous. Your laundry will smell like a valley of wildflowers!
2. Pest repellant. Moths and mosquitoes both hate the aroma of lavender. To keep moths at bay, fill small, breathable spice sacks with dried lavender sprigs and hang them in your closet. To deter mosquitoes, dab a couple drops of lavender essential oil on your skin before stepping onto your porch or attending your next barbecue. Bonus: Lavender is known to help improve your mood.
3. Furniture polish. If you have small children or curious pets in your home, try this non-toxic furniture polish. Mix two tablespoons of lemon juice with a ½-teaspoon of olive oil and one drop of lavender essential oil. Using a soft cloth, buff a small amount of the solution into your wood furniture. Note: Test your homemade polish on a small, unnoticeable part of your wood furniture before buffing the entire piece.
4. Eco-friendly air freshener. Make an all-natural lavender spritzer by combining a few drops of lavender essential oil with a cup of water. Stir and then add the mixture to a spray bottle. You can use this all-purpose air freshener anywhere in the house to dispel funky odors. Tip: Spray this solution in your empty vacuum bags to refresh your carpets and make your vacuuming experience a little more enjoyable.
5. Linen spray. Improve your sleep, reduce dry skin and freshen up your sheets at the same time. Three in one! Because lavender is naturally anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, it makes for a great linen spray. To make your own, mix 3 ounces of vodka with 30 drops of lavender essential oil. Add 1.5 cups of distilled water and stir the ingredients together. Using a funnel, pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Shake well, and then spray lightly over your linens for a soothing night’s sleep.